Friday, November 18, 2011

... in books


TGIF is a weekly meme hosted by Greads!

It’s Thanksgiving weekend in the US this week and the question is:

Giving Thanks: Which books are you most thankful for receiving from other bloggers, friends, family members, or publishers?

My blog is new in the blogosphere so I haven’t asked any publishers for ARCs yet and I am not sure if I will in the near future because I have no idea if it is possible for me to get ARCs from publishers in the US or the UK to Austria.

I have one American book series I am so thankful for receiving. It is Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series. I love love love this series as I often mentioned before. Eva lent me the first two books of the series over a year ago and I was hooked.

 Last year at Christmas my mum got me Maggie Barbieri’s book “Quick Study” which was the third in the series. She actually thought that it was the first and on Christmas Day I ordered the first on Amazon. In the middle of reading it I ordered the second and they are wonderful cozy mysteries. One of the problems of living in Austria is that all these amazing mystery series and many other good books (e.g. Young Adult books) cannot be purchased in stores here. Major disadvantage from my point of view!

A friend of mine got me Rachel Gibson’s “Sex, Lies and Online Dating” this February for my birthday. She told me that the blurb reminded her of me and I was not so sure if I found this flattering.
The book is about a mystery writer, Lucy, who dates men online to do some research for her new book. At the same time there is a killer out there and she kills men she met online. One evening Lucy meets Quinn who is really an undercover cop working the killings and Lucy is a prime suspect until she discovers who the real murderer is.

And I am most thankful for receiving Terry Pratchett’s “Wyrd Sisters” from one of my father’s collegues. This book started my Terry Pratchett addiction. I got this book with the words: “Amazing series! You have to read it! This book is the perfect starter and you won’t regret reading it!”
Definitely so true! Thank you Bernd!

And  would like to also mention:
  • JoAnna Carl’s Chocoholic Mysteries
  • Cleo Coyle’s Coffeehouse Mysteries
  • Anne George’s Southern Sisters Mysteries
As you can see I am most thankful for US mystery series and fantasy novels but it’s not the case that I only read those it is just that I am reading so many different genres and those books are some of my favorites!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't asked for ARCs either, possibly because I'm so intimidated by the idea. I'll probably do it eventually but for now, my library, books I buy and books I borrow from people will suffice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read most of Rachel Gibson's books and they are all great!
    Well, One For the Money is now being made into a movie with Katherine Heigl as Stephanie Plum. Check out the trailer! Guess, I need to start on the series before the movie releases in January 2012.

    A new follower of your blog!

    Sana
    artsy musings of a bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really need to read the books first. The are great and so hillarious. I was laughing out loud the whole time. So try not to read them in public transport. :-)

    ReplyDelete