Friday, December 30, 2011

... in books


TGIF is a weekly meme hosted by GReads! and this week’s question fits perfectly for tomorrow’s New Year’s Eve.

The question is:
First & Last: What was the first book you read in 2011 and the last you finished in 2011? How do you feel about these books? Would you recommend them to other readers?

I really don’t know which book I read first this year. I can just remember that I had it with me at last years New Year’s Eve party I attended. Friends of mine have a small house near Vienna and me and my friends went there to celebrate New Year’s out there. It is quite a small house and we were many people but it only had one oven to heat this whole place. So instead of freezing we made brandy punch and heated the place with the rum you pour over the sugar loaf. We nearly burned the place because the flames were so high but fortunately we didn’t because we will celebrate New Year’s there this year again. 


But I can tell you the last book I read or better am reading in 2011. Right now I am reading Jenn McKinlay’s Sprinkle with Murder. It is a Cupcake Bakery Mystery and as you may know right now I love reading mystery novels – especially the ones that involve food in one way or another. I love my Chocolate Shop Mysteries, my Coffeeshop Mysteries, etc.
Sprinkle with murder is the first in a series and tells the story of Mel and her best friend Angie. The two own a Cupcake Bakery in Scottsdale, Arizona and unfortunately (or fortunately) the fiancé of their best friend Tate dies (she wasn’t a nice person so I wasn’t really shocked that she had to die) and Mel is the prime suspect. As always with these novels the police focus on a love triangle between Mel, Tate and Christie (the victim) and does not handle the case properly so Mel needs to snoop around on her own.
I am sure she will solve the case before the police and I am really looking forward to the next book in the series. 
I would definitely recommend this novel to others. It is perfect for a cosy day or evening on the couch and it comes with four wonderful cupcake recipes that I need to try one day.

3 comments:

  1. You definitely rang in this New Year in a memorable way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why you can't remember which book you had with you....

    I love a good food/mystery book once in a while!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sprinkle with Murder sounds really cute! I'm definitely checking that one out :)

    ReplyDelete