Wednesday, November 14, 2012

...in books



Review
I heart New York
by Lindsey Kelk

The author:
Lindsey Kelk is a British writer and children’s book editor. When she isn’t writing, reading, listening to music or watching more TV than is healthy, Lindsey likes to wear shoes, shop for shoes and judge the shoes of others. She loves living in New York but misses Sherbert Fountains, London and drinking Gin & Elderflower cocktails with her friends. Not necessarily in that order.


First sentences:
The aisle looks really, really long.

Summary:
When you're running away from a broken heart, there's only one place to go...Adjusting tiaras at the foot of the aisle, Angela and her best friend prepare for the wedding of the year. But events don't go as planned. And when a girl is in possession of a crumpled bridesmaid dress - and can't go home - New York (for the very first time) seems like an excellent idea. Angela's new friend Jenny Lopez gives Angela a whirlwind tour of the city that never sleeps, and a makeover. Who hasn't dreamed of starting afresh with a sassy New York wardrobe, a new haircut and a trip to the make-up counter? Before she knows it, the new Angela is getting over her broken heart by having dinner with two different boys. And, best of all, she gets to write about it in her fabulous new blog. But it's one thing telling readers all about your romantic dilemmas. It's another trying to figure them out for yourself!
source: Goodreads (adapted)

My opinion:
I was in desperate need of a light and fluffy fun book to read and I found it in I heart New York. Last year while being on a road-trip through Western Australia I read Lindsey Kelk’s The Single Girl’s To-Do List on my Kindle and loved this book so much that I bought it afterwards so that I can have it on my bookshelf (yes, nerdy – I know). I wanted to read her I heart series for such a long time and I cannot believe I did it sooner.

I heart New York tells the story of Angela who ran away from London after she found her fiancĂ© cheating on her. A one-way ticket to New York might be the solution. We as readers experience Angela’s heartbreak and decision to go to New York firsthand and I felt so sorry for her. I know first hand how it feels to be cheated on (well kind of cheated on but that didn’t made this icky feeling go away) and I know how important it is to have friends surrounding you. So how do you manage not to wallow in self-pity when you just fled from your friends and family and are living in a hotel in a foreign city? Right, you befriend or in Angela’s case get forced into a friendship with a member of hotel staff.

I love Lindsey’s style of writing and flew through this book in less than a day and went out to buy the second and third book in the series as soon as I finished the first. I haven’t started the second book yet because I love to savor books in series but I will read them pretty soon.
The story is hilarious and I had to laugh out loud more than once which entitled me as the weirdo in public transport but whatever!

If you are looking for a quick, entertaining read than you should definitely check out Lindsey Kelk’s I heart New York.

The books in the I heart ... series are:

  • I heart New York
  • I heart Hollywood
  • I heart Paris
  • I heart Vegas
  • I heart London

For more information about Lindsey visit her Homepage and her Twitter page.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds fun! I also buy paper copies of Kindle books I love, just so I can look at the covers :) I'm definitely going to check these out, about time I read something fun ;-)

    Glad you enjoyed it, great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love New York, and am always looking for cute books that take place there! Dash and Lily is one of my faves. I actually own I Heart New York, but have not had the opportunity to read it. This must change! It sounds like so much fun!

    And I'm excited about the rest of her series. :) The only place she's written about that I have not gone to is London, which will change someday. :)

    You've gotten me so excited to read I Heart New York now! I think I need to do this really soon. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete