Sunday, December 9, 2012

...Blogmas



 
Day 9

Welcome to Blogmas!
Every day from December the first until Christmas Eve I will accompany with one Christmas related post, giving you gift ideas, tips, recipes, etc. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy Coming up with posts and writing them. 


Review
Christmas at the Cupcake Café
by Jenny Colgan

The author:
Jenny Colgan (born Prestwick, Scotland) is a British chick-lit novelist, author of romantic comedies such as Amanda's Wedding, Looking for Andrew McCarthy and Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend. She lives in France and London with her husband and three children.
source: Goodreads

First sentence:
The scent of cinnamon, orange peel and ginger perfumed the air, with a strong undercurrent of coffee.

Summary:
Issy Randall, proud owner of The Cupcake Cafe, is in love and couldn't be happier. Her new business is thriving and she is surrounded by close friends, even if her cupcake colleagues Pearl and Caroline don't seem quite as upbeat about the upcoming season of snow and merriment. But when her boyfriend Austin is scouted for a possible move to New York, Issy is forced to face up to the prospect of a long-distance romance. And when the Christmas rush at the cafe - with its increased demand for her delectable creations - begins to take its toll, Issy has to decide what she holds most dear.
This December, Issy will have to rely on all her reserves of courage, good nature and cinnamon, to make sure everyone has a merry Christmas, one way or another.
source: Goodreads

My opinion:
Christmas at the Cupcake Café starts roughly a year after Meet me at the Cupcake Café ended. I was looking forward to be reunited with the wonderful characters, especially Issy, Austin and Darny, since I found out that Jenny was writing a sequel. 

The story is as funny, heart-warming and beautifully written as Meet me at the Cupcake Café which was the first Jenny Colgan book I read. 

It felt like I was visiting a huge group of friends again after a year. Issy, the loving and proud owner of the café where it always smells delicious, her wonderful assistants Pearl, with her adorable son, and Caroline, Austin and his brother Darny, who is the most hilarious 12 year old I ever read about. 

Christmas at the Cupcake Café isn’t this typical Christmas book where basically everything is perfect. It deals with important personal decisions, the challenges when being in a relationship, difficulties when owning your own business, childcare and a lot more. Don’t get me wrong; this book has an overall Christmassy feel but not all is lights, decorations and love. There is so much more to this book than that.

For all of you who are looking for an entertaining book with a Christmassy theme and feel I would recommend checking it out. I really liked it and flew through it.Christmas at the Cupcake Café also includes many wonderful recipes for Gingerbread, a Classic Christmas Cake and many more.

Christmas at the Cupcake Café is the Christmassy sequel to Meet me at the Cupcake Café.

For more information about Jenny Colgan visit her Homepage, Facebook and Twitter pages.

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds SO cute! Sadly, this book was not released in the USA. I remember writing to the pub and asking for it, but he said they could not ship across the border. Sad, huh!? But I am so glad to know you enjoyed it. :) Christmas books are my very favorite!

    - Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl

    ReplyDelete